An Overview of the 388th Bomb Group (H)

Our Place in History

The 388th BG was in the United States Army Air Corps, 8th Air Force, 3rd Air Division, 45th Combat Wing. Our squadrons were the 560th, 561st, 562nd and 563rd.
The 388th BG was activated December 24, 1942 at Gowan Field just outside of Boise, Idaho. After going to England in the summer of 1943 and helping win the war there, they returned to Sioux Falls Army Air Field, SD and prepared to deploy to the Pacific. When the Pacific war ended the group was inactivated on August 28, 1945.

Click here for a detailed unit history

Here's a map of Knettishall, England. The base is just south of the marked crossroads. Switching to earth view makes the remnants of the main E/W runway stand out

Our Base

Station 136, Knettishall, England. We took command of this RAF base on June 23, 1943 and stayed until August 5, 1945. Knettishall is roughly 7 miles southeast of Thetford and 11 miles northeast of Bury St Edmunds. Diss, where the 65th General hospital was located, is about 10 miles east.

Our Commanding Officers

Col William B. David
Activation to October 6, 1944
Col Chester C. Cox
October 6, 1944 to inactivation

Attached Organizations and Units

434th HQ Squadron
860th Sq
684th Sq
434th Air Service Group
1211th Quartermaster Company
1284th Military Police Company
1751st Ordnance Supply and Maintenance Company
273rd Medical Dispensary
2019th Engineering and Fire Fighting Platoon
452nd Sub Depot
29th Station Complement
587th Postal Unit
877th Chemical Company
214th Finance Detachment

Our Missions

306 Combat, 19 Aphrodite, 5 Chowhound, 1 POW, 2 Revival

Some Statistics

91 aircraft lost, 524 men killed in action, 801 taken prisoner, 2 missing

Awards

Some Noteworthy Facts

Our Military Heirs

The 388th Fighter Bomber Wing was activated November 23, 1953 at Clovis AFB, NM. Follwing two periods of inactivation, the 388th FBW was reactivated as the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing on April 1, 1966 at Korat RTAB, Thailand. At the end of the VietNam war, the unit relocated to Hill AFB, UT where it was renamed the 388th Fighter Wing.
more information